This Tea Chest started off as scrap left over from the Adirondack chairs. I started with the Dovetails. This dovetailed tea chest is one continues piece of white oak.
I marked the pins using blue tape. Not pictured here, but the pins were cut with my new old dovetail saw. I made a new handle for it out of the same walnut used for the panels in the frame and panel doors for this chest.
Layout for the back panel.
Panel Glue-up. This panel falls into a rabbet in the back of the case.
After the back panel was finished I started on the front doors. I finished the panels with a final pass with the number 4 smoother before assembly. This is a quick bench hook I put together which also serves as a shooting board on the bench top. I finished up by easing all the edges with the apron plane.
And the finished case. This Cabinet has some hand-made catches/door stops I made out of scraps that hold the doors shut. The pulls were turned on the lathe.
I was experimenting with the finish here, and I am still not really sure where I want to go with a piece like this. Additionally I was going to turn this into a sort of Cabinet on a Stand piece but that is on hold for the time being while I finish some other work that’s been patiently waiting. I am pretty happy with how this turned out. In the future I would like to work on manufacturing my own hardware, catches, etc. and see what I can come up with. For a piece that was entirely made of scraps with nearly zero waste, I am really happy with the result. I ended up putting more time into this thing that I had originally planed, but I am happy I did.